I am often asked how furniture should be maintained and cared for. I have included some of my top tips for fine furniture care.
Simple steps to care for furniture finishes:
- Avoid contact with cigarettes, hot dishes and harsh solvents such as nail polish, alcohol and moisture.
- Always use coasters, place mats or other protective materials when placing anything on top of your timber furniture.
- Remove spills and smudges immediately.
- Do not place furniture near heat outlets, windows or in direct sunlight.
- Lift and place items instead of sliding them across the furniture surface.
- Rotate items that have a permanent place on top of furniture surfaces to prevent surface discolouration.
- Dust regularly with a soft cloth.
- Clean the surface with a lightly moistened clean cloth. Lightly moisten with warm soapy water or plain warm water. Avoid using wet cloths or mops, as this can stain and damage the finish.
- Wax the surface every four to six months.
I often assist my clients with bringing furniture back to life through a maintenance and repair service. I can revive furniture with a clean and wax, as well as onsite repairs such as small dents or getting drawers to run smoothly. Please contact me on 0414 400 172 if you would like your furniture serviced.